TED Talks provide inspiration and great models for public speaking skills. TED recently shared the 20 most popular talks since TED began.
If you would like a summer project to inspire you to reach for the stars and to develop your public speaking skills, watch all 20 of these, one per day.
If you undertake this project, look for these things:
- How does the speaker make you feel?
- How does the speaker use stories to illustrate and enlighten?
- What is the speech structure used to build the talk?
- What is the moment that thrills you?
- What is the message you receive?
- How can you use your own story and content to craft a similar talk?
The thing that all these speakers have in common is a sense of authenticity. Each one has developed a style that is genuine, natural and authentic. More than anything, that is what connects with audiences.
If you would like to develop your own TED-style talk or just want to learn to be comfortable speaking to groups, consider private coaching or joining one of my Group Speaking – Fast Track Programs. Whatever your speaking goals, I can help you develop an authentic style of speaking, based on being who you are rather than who you think you should be as a speaker. You can learn to shine as brightly as these 20 TED speakers!